The Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Division of NRCRI, Umudike is one of the five Technical Divisions of the Institute. The division consists of Research Planning, Projects Monitoring & Evaluation and Manpower Development and Training
Research Planning: The Research Planning unit is responsible for Research Planning and Formulation in liaison with the other Technical Divisions in the Institute. The Unit organizes an annual research review workshop where researchers and other stakeholders meet to review the previous year’s research and identified production, storage, processing, utilization, marketing and other problems affecting root and tuber crops in Nigeria. Problems identified affecting root and tuber crops in Nigeria. Problems identified from the basis for new proposals.
Projects Monitoring & Evaluation: This Unit monitors the implementation of research projects from the completion. The essence is to ensure that the projects are implemented according to planned objectives and financial budgets. Completed projects are evaluated at the end to determine the impact or effectiveness.
Manpower Development and Training: This Unit determines the staff need of the Institute by conducting annual skill gaps analysis in all Divisions of the Institute. The skill gap analysis provides information on staff recruitment and training needs of the Institute. Based on the information provided, the institute approves the following training for staff to fill any missing gap:
- B.A or B.Sc. in fields of need
- B.Sc. or M.Phil.
Nominated staffs are sponsored and sent to various Universities to study
- Short Courses: These are non-degree courses which last form weeks to one year. Staffs are nominated on the basis of need and to fill in certain missing gaps. Training may be organized internally drawing resource persons from Nigerian Universities and other organizations. Individuals may also be sponsored for training within and outside the country.
- Industrial Training for Students: Students from Nigerian Universities are sent to the Units for varying periods of time (3-12) months attachment for practical training in agriculture. The students are distributed to relevant programmes of the Institute for practical training.
- National Youth Service Corps: 10-15 Youth Corpers are sent to the Division annually for their National Service. During this period, these corpers who are graduates of University, Polytechnics and Colleges of Agriculture, work in different programmes, Section or Units of the Institute.
The Division also prepares the annual capital budget for the Institute. Organizes the internal Institute Seminars and coordinates research activities among the Institute Research programmes.
- 2014 Annual Research Review and Planning Workshop 8th-10th April 2014
- Monitoring of field Research Projects for 2014
- Production of Compendium of Research activities at NRCRI from 1976 to 2013